Named after a General of the Northern States army during the American civil war, the M4 Sherman tank was the largest mass-produced tank in the U.S. army of World War II. M4 Sherman tanks began arriving to the Soviet Union as part of lend-lease in late 1943. Reliable and maneuverable, the Shermans were also quite technologically advanced. The diesel version of the M4A2 became the most popular medium tank of foreign production used by the Red Army. The main armament was the American tank gun 75 mm M3 L/37.5. Soviet tankers called this tank "emcha" (Russian transliteration of M4). During World War II, the Red Army received about 2007 tanks.