In 1940 the headquarters of English infantry regiment was headed by chief of staff with rank of lieutenant colonel, in addition to which there were two senior officers, adjutant with rank of captain, four junior officers and four sergeants (clerk, liaison officer, etc.). The headquarters was tasked with directing the regiment's units and interacting with neighboring units and higher headquarters. Staff officers were armed primarily with Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1 or Webley Mk. 4 and traditionally wore officers' canes, the NCOs had Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk. Z and gas mask pouches on their chests at the ready position.